My Portfolio

Thursday, April 9, 2009

3 factor model (Fundamentals)


My entry/sell point is currently based on the following 3 factors Fundamental, Momentum and Volatility. I will be doing trial and error to adjust the weightage of each factors but for a start, I will allocate more weight to fundamentals.

For fundamentals, it will be categorized into 2 section, valuation and operating history.  For operating history, I will use both quantitative and qualititave analysis to assess the company's management, financial health, profitability and cash flow.

For valuation, I will use p/cf , p/b, p/e, p/s and compared them against other similar industry competitors or the company's own 5 year historical average. One thing to take note is that companies with low ratios might be value traps and it may take years for the market to find this value and the stock can stay priced at these undervalued levels for extended periods, resulting in opportunity cost incurred as capital will be tied up on the stock.

Therefore to mitigate the risk of value investing, I will add a momentum filter to improve returns by avoiding the problem of waiting for the market to recognize the undervaluation. This will be discussed in the next section.

Not too sure if the above has already been mentioned before in my previous posts but the most significant change which I am making to my current system is to use relative valuation instead of absolute.

No comments: