My Portfolio

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Melynn - Philosophy on investing part 6

I have been looking at my past trades stretching back to the first very trade I have made since year 2007 which was the bull period. Back then, I always thought I am good stock picker whereby nearly all stocks I bought were multi baggers earning me 20-30 % return in a few months leading me to have an illusion that everything is within my control. During that period, I also tend to think stocks will move as per my expectation, ie picking stocks which is fundamentally sound and buying them no matter how over valued they seem to be by coming up with an estimated price near the present as a support. Therefore whenever I have made a decision, I will find evidence to support it rather than finding ways to refute it. This might sound counter intuitive as the norm will be buying stocks based on evidence instead..

Eventually, when stocks started to plunge a few basis point everyday, I will still see it as a form of correction and cost average it as I believe the value will revert back to the mean eventually. I was apparently suffering from gambler's fallacy where I thought a stock will recover after a few days of consecutive big plunge when in fact, it wont. All these are said on hindsight but i hope I can improve my investment by acknowledging my mistakes soon and correct them.

Nevertheless, i never doubt value investing despite not practicing it firmly. I hope to improve this method by mixing momentum and value together to avoid from incurring opportunity cost by holding on undervalued securities that languish a long time before recovering. Instead of bottoming fishing where a price can always go lower than my estimated price, why not wait for the price to raise a bit (momentum) before entering? Ideally, I would want to pick the highest momentum stocks with the cheapest valuation.. Possible? Downside is that by adopting this strategy, I will inevitably follow the fool game so an important thing is to exit when the expectation is different from the reality on a large scale.This is easier say than done and its something which I have yet to figure out

Firm fundamental investors will buy/hold a stock in an indefinite period and assumption is that large emphasis is placed on the stock fundamentals and not the price volatility but thinking from another perspective, a prolonged plunge in stock price will affect the fundamentals too isn't it.

I will share more thoughts on Soros reflexivity philosophy in the next post which I happened to come across a few days back. Also note that each of my posts might be jumbled up or not related to one another as I am just trying to pen down whatever thoughts that came across my mind so I will like to apologize in advance if it causes any confusion. 



Reproduced with permission from http://melynn-lynch.blogspot.com 

No comments: